Covid-19: Beware of Scams
The coronavirus outbreak has created the perfect storm for scams, with fraudsters using callous tactics to exploit people’s fears and vulnerabilities for their own financial gain.
- Always follow government advice.
- Use local council websites, local council services and trusted charities like Age Scotland.
- Be careful on social media, especially with coronavirus response groups springing up.
- Be as careful as you would normally be… don’t be side-tracked or rush into decisions.
- Don’t purchase items from your doorstep.
- Don’t draw attention to passers-by that you are self-isolating (e.g. placing signs in windows).
- Don’t give bank details, cash, credit or debit card information to strangers to do shopping etc.
- Don’t buy cures and medicines online.
- Don’t buy soaps and sanitizers from unknown sources.
- Buy all products from known sources.
- Trust and seek help from family and friends or the official East Lothian resilience groups.